Victoria Azarenka is on her method to her first Grand Slam last since the United States Open in 2013! Listed below are 5 issues to grasp in regards to the tennis champion who defeated Serena Williams in the United States Open semi-final.
Victoria Azarenka is on a significant successful streak. The Grand Slam tennis champion, 31, who hails from Belarus, defeated Serena Williams, 38, in a top quality three-set fight in Arthur Ashe Stadium at the United States Open semi-final. Even though Victoria, identified additionally as Vika, had a sluggish get started within the first set — dropping to Serena 1-6 — she discovered her sport, power and resilience, getting rid of the 23-time Grand Slam champion within the latter two units at 6-3, 6-3. Looking forward to Victoria within the last, this Saturday, is international no. nine and fellow two-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka. Prior to the fit, be told extra about Victoria Azarenka with those 5 information!
1) She’s a two-time Grand Slam Champion. Victoria’s very best appearing at Grand Slams got here in back-to-back wins on the Australian Open in 2012 and 2013. There, Victoria defeated Maria Sharapova in 2012 and Li Na in 2013, incomes her sole Grand Slam titles. Following her first appearing on the match, Victoria’s rank moved all of the approach as much as no. 1, making her the highest ladies’s participant on the planet on the time.
2) Victoria has performed Serena earlier than. Previous to their September 10 assembly in Arther Ashe Stadium, Victoria and Serena had an extended historical past of enjoying each and every different. Serena these days holds the document for many wins in opposition to the Belarusian — 18-5 — however Victoria used to be able to reply to Serena’s energy and make up for previous fits throughout the hot US Open semi-final. Actually, Serena and Victoria met within the finals of the United States Open in 2012 and 2013, with each championships going to Serena in extremely shut fits.
3) She’s on a significant comeback streak. Previous to defeating Serena in the United States Open semi-final, Victoria had a straight-set win over Belgian participant and international no. 18 Elise Mertens, successful their quarter-final assembly 6-1, 6-0. Previous to that fit, she had a three-set win over international no. 26 participant, Karolína Muchová. Within the lead-up to assembly Muchová, Victoria hadn’t dropped a suite in opposition to her competition. She additionally received the Western & Southern Open earlier than the beginning of the United States Open, edging out Naomi Osaka when the Eastern participant selected to not play because of a hamstring harm.
4) There used to be a time when lovers weren’t certain Victoria would go back to the game. Victoria’s comeback streak relies on the truth that, for more or less two-three years, lovers and commentators of the game weren’t certain she would proceed to play. The tennis champion took time clear of the game, coping with a custody fight together with her former spouse over their son, Leo, born in December 2016. All through that point, Victoria used to be not able to play up to she sought after, chucking up the sponge of the 2017 season save for the Wimbledon Championships. And when she did go back to the court docket, her draw used to be just about at all times a most sensible seeded participant. However now, Victoria is enjoying the most efficient she has in just about seven years.
5) She’s a loyal mother. One of the most largest narrative highlights from the United States Open 2020 semi-final used to be that Serena and Victoria have been each moms assembly in a Grand Slam fit at any such overdue level within the match. Victoria welcomed her little boy in December 2016 and steadily posts about him on Instagram. She even setup an Instagram account for her son, Leo, whom she stocks with Billy McKeague.
Following her 2d spherical victory at the United States Open, Victoria aptly shared with the click, “However figuring out myself or different avid gamers simply as moms, I believe that’s no longer the one factor that we’re. I believe we’re a part of, , being a mom, we also are tennis avid gamers. We also are ladies who’ve desires and targets and passions,” she seen. “My existence simply started after I was a mom. I’ll say that in reality brazenly.”
Watch Victoria Azarenka tackle Naomi Osaka at the United States Open ladies’s last on Saturday, September 12, at Four pm ET on ESPN.