Are you in search of an easy, delicious, and nutritious breakfast option? Look no further than a bacon egg and cheese sandwich – its classic combination of crispy bacon, fluffy eggs, and melty cheese between two slices of bread makes for a satisfying and filling start to the day! In this article we’ll demonstrate how to create such an item that meets all these criteria – as well as some tips on meal prepping them and keeping them ready-to-go in busy mornings!
How to Make a Healthy Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwich
Making your own bacon egg and cheese sandwich allows you to be in control of both ingredients and portions, and can lower calories, fat and sodium intake with healthier choices:
- Choose a whole wheat or multigrain English muffin over white bread rolls for more fiber and reduced refined carbs, and toast it for extra crunch and flavor!
- Use turkey bacon or Canadian bacon instead of regular bacon. They contain less fat and sodium and can be easily prepared in both an oven and skillet until crisp.
- Use egg whites or an entire egg as an alternative to scrambled eggs, since egg whites contain less cholesterol and calories while whole eggs offer more protein and healthy fats. You can cook an egg in either a microwave-safe bowl/ramekin for approximately 45 seconds or over medium heat on a skillet for 3 minutes per side – your options for preparation vary!
- Use fat-free or low-fat cheese in place of full-fat cheese for optimal nutrition. Or reduce or skip altogether depending on personal taste; cheese offers many nutritional benefits as well as fat and sodium content – perfect for cheese lovers like cheddar, American or Swiss varieties!
- Use butter or margarine sparingly or opt for low-calorie mayonnaise instead. Butter adds flavor, moisture, but also fat and calories that you need to consider when planning meals.
- Make a sandwich your own with seasonings such as salt, pepper, onion powder, parsley or any herbs and spices of your choosing – maybe adding some ketchup, mustard, salsa or hot sauce for additional taste and kick!
- To assemble your sandwich, layer bacon, egg and cheese on one half of a muffin and finish it off by topping with the other. Enjoy your creation immediately or wrap it in wax paper or aluminum foil and store in the fridge or freezer until later!
How to Meal Prep and Store Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwiches
One of the great advantages of bacon egg and cheese sandwiches is their freezer-friendliness and easy reheatability, which make them ideal for meal prep or busy mornings. Below are some tips on how you can store and reheat them:
- For optimal storage in the fridge, wrap individual sandwiches individually in wax paper or aluminum foil and place them in an airtight container or ziplock bag – they should last up to 3 days in your fridge.
- When freezing sandwiches, be sure to individually wrap each one in wax paper or aluminum foil and store it in an airtight container or freezer bag with its date and contents written clearly on it. Keep these frozen treats up to six months.
- To reheat sandwiches in the microwave, unwrap them and place them on a microwave-safe plate, covering with damp paper towel to protect from drying out. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes while flipping halfway, until heated through. Alternatively, defrost in refrigerator overnight prior to microwaving for faster results.
- To reheat sandwiches in the oven, preheat it to 350degF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap your sandwiches and place them on the lined sheet, covered by aluminum foil to prevent burning. Bake your sandwiches for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through – you could also defrost them overnight in the refrigerator before taking this route!
Bacon egg and cheese sandwiches are an easy, delicious, and nutritious breakfast choice that will keep you energized until lunch time arrives. Make some for yourself today and indulge any time!